The workshops consisted of the following components:
- Explaining the purpose of the book and its contents
- Discussing an exercise based on an essay in the book and explaining how this exercise could be used in a science class
- Defining the concepts covered in the essay
- Discussing ideas of how to adapt the essays to different levels or classroom topics (e.g. Spanish, Art, Science and History)
- Explanaining how to navigate the CienciaPR.org website and the resources that teachers can find on the site.
- Teachers also received a thematic guide of the book's essays.
In the final exercise, teachers met in groups to discuss the essays and share their ideas and opinions about how to use them in the classroom setting. At the end of the workshops, a survey was distributed to meassure the effectivenss and relevance of the workshops and the perception of the book as a complementary tool in the classroom.
If you are an educator interested in complementing their class with essays that provide examples of Puerto Rican scientists and that narrate science from a Puerto Rican perspective, we encourage you to review the following resources:
- The book ¡Ciencia Boricua! ensayos y anécdotas del científico puertorro
- Thematic guide of the essays in the book
- Instructions for the CienciaPR workshops focused on science classes
- Instructions for a workshop focused on Spanish class
- Presentation on how to use the book in the classroom
- Evaluation report on the teacher workshops (2012-2013)
- Page for the Project Ciencia Boricua, which used the book within a larger intervention to study the effect that contextualizating science can have in the interest of children in science.