This 10-week Summer program seeks to enhance the research experience and skills of faculty participants and offers optional working opportunities for two students (one of whom may be a graduate student), as they pursue research under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists, on projects in DOE mission science. The Visiting Faculty Program (VFP) seeks to increase the research competitiveness of faculty members and their students at institutions historically underrepresented in the research community in order to expand the workforce vital to the Department of Energy (DOE) mission areas.
To qualify for this program the faculty applicant must be:
1. U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident
2. Full-time faculty member at a community college, college, or university that does not grant doctorates and/or is not well-resourced; see eligible institutions sections.
3. Interested in research projects with a focus in Energy, Environmental Science, Nano- materials, National Security, and Advanced Nuclear Energy Systems. Please search the Research Projects Catalog (https://apps.anl.gov/register/catalog/3) for detailed projects.
DOE has identified 222 university institutions that are well-resourced for their research activities. To be eligible for this opportunity, the applicant cannot be faculty at any of the institutions on the following lists Research Universities-Very High and Research Universities- High, which can be found at https://science.osti.gov/wdts/vfp/Eligibility
The application requirements include:
· A program application that includes contact information, educational information, citizenship, goals and statements.
· Curriculum Vitae
. Two (2) letters of recommendation
· A Research Proposal co-developed with an Argonne laboratory staff member or co-PI (six-page limit)
· Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All must be submitted by January 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM ET
For additional information on the program please consult this website: https://www.anl.gov/education/department-of-energy-visiting-faculty-program