The ASCB is accepting applications and nominations for co-chair of the Minorities Affairs Committee (MAC), for a three-year term beginning in January 2017.
The Minorities Affairs Committee (MAC), one of the standing committees of the American Society for Cell Biology, has as its goal to significantly increase the involvement of underrepresented minority scientists in all aspects of the Society. To achieve this goal we recognize the need to promote the professional development of and to recruit minority scientists. The relatively small size of the pool of scientists with an interest in cell biology requires that we also develop programs for undergraduate and predoctoral students to assist them in achieving careers in biomedical research. A long range goal of the committee is to contribute to the Nation’s effort to increase the number of underrepresented minority scientists.
ASCB is now seeking candidates for one of two MAC Co-Chairs. The Co-Chair serves for a three-year term, which can be renewed for an additional term, for a maximum of six years total.
The ideal attributes of a MAC Co-Chair are:
- Strong leadership in the field of cell biology together with the skills, passion, interest, and time to serve the mission of the Society and the mission of the MAC
- A demonstrated history of mentoring underrepresented minority students and scientists
- Experience working with and running committees—excellent communication, speaking, and writing skills
- A track record in grantsmanship and research
Applications will be reviewed, and the Co-Chair chosen, by the ASCB Council. Please apply by September 1, 2016. ASCB members interested in seeking this unique leadership opportunity (or in nominating someone else) are asked to provide the following:
- Name of applicant
- Title and affiliation of applicant
- If a self-nomination, a one-page statement of why you want to be Chair
- If a nomination of someone else, a one-page statement by the nominator of why the person would be a good Chair. The person should know he or she is being nominated.
- Applicant’s CV
Please submit applications or questions to MACchairsearch@ascb.org