The ASNT Fellowship Award provides assistance to university or college graduate students in defraying costs of their post-graduate research in NDT/NDE.To fund research activity in nondestructive testing (NDT) at the graduate level, either master’s or doctoral.
Universities or colleges with post-graduate engineering and science research programs are eligible.Specific accreditation, such as ABET accreditation, is not required.
Faculty Advisor must meet the requirement for directing the student’s graduate degree program as required by the nominating university. No more than one proposal per faculty member will be considered annually.
Student must meet the requirement for the degree program described in the proposal as required by the nominating university. The funds shall be used as described in the proposal submitted as part of the application documentation.The intent is to support the students in the conduct of their studies or research need towards attaining a graduate level degree.
The application should be in the form of a proposal for a graduate level research project from the university outlining what the program or graduate study activity will consist of and how long they will manage the fellowship.
All Fellowship proposals should be formatted as follows:
Length: The proposal, with all support materials, should not exceed twenty one-sided sheets.
Title Page: Should list the title, the school name, the faculty member submitting the proposal, the name of the potential student recipient (required), mailing address, telephone and fax numbers and e-mail address. It shall specify the anticipated starting date, estimated date of completion and to who the funds are to be disbursed.
Abstract: A brief executive summary of the nature and scope of the research to be performed.
Research Proposal: This should contain a detailed description of the graduate research project indicating the objectives, planned approach, and the expected results.
Program of Study: This should provide a brief description of the actual or typical program of study of the potential student recipient. A brief catalog description of the indicated courses would be helpful.
Research Facilities: Should include a description of the research facilities equipment and other appropriate resources available for use on this project.
Budget: Should indicate the resources dedicated to this project. The proposed use of ASNT Fellowship funds should be indicated explicitly. None of the ASNT Fellowship Award funds can be used for overhead or indirect institution expenses.
*The proposal must be signed by the faculty member and by an official authorized to commit the institution in business affairs.
Method of Selection
The Financial Awards Committee selects up to five $20,000 awards each year, pending merit and number of submissions, based on the following criteria:
A critical review will be made of all proposals by the committee, using the information guidelines or other appropriate criteria as bases, agreed by the committee members based on their experiences and the contents and quality of the submitted proposals:
- How novel is the research
- Value of potential contribution
- Soundness of technical approach
- Scope of the proposed research effort
- Potential for successful completion
- Adequacy of the proposal team
- Adequacy of the facilities
- Announcements are made in the: September Issue of Materials Evaluation
- Nomination deadline: 15 October
- The Financial Awards Committee will provide its recommendation to the ASNT Board of Directors during ASNT’s Research Symposium
- Recipients will be notified following the Research Symposium
- Funding will begin in July. The grant funds shall be directed to the contracting office of the university or college department of the approved recipient for disbursal as described in the proposal.
- Awards will be presented at ASNT’s Annual Conference – Financial support is not provided for attending the awards ceremony (support is only provided for presentation of student’s findings – see below).
- The Fellowship student recipient must present the findings at an annual conference following completion of the research. In order to present at an annual conference, the student must submit an abstract to ASNT. ASNT’s Program Coordinator will correspond the appropriate deadlines for submitting abstracts.
- When the Fellowship student recipient presents their findings at annual conference, ASNT shall provide reimbursement for a coach/economy flight (up to $500) and for 1 night’s hotel lodging. Full conference registration will also be waived.
- A paper on the completed study or activity must be submitted to ASNT no later than twenty-four months after the start date indicated in the proposal. The paper must be in a format suitable for publication in Materials Evaluation, ASNT’s archival technical journal.
For any questions regarding the Fellowship process or timeline, please contact ASNT’s Program Coordinator, Jessica Ames (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Form of Award
$20,000 in funding and a Framed Certificate. Recipients who are not members of ASNT shall be given a complimentary one (1) year membership.