Community College Internships (CCI) and
Opportunities at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
2020 Summer Internship Information – Apply Now!
ORNL is the largest science and energy laboratory in the Department of Energy system. Areas of research include materials, neutron sciences, energy, high-performance computing, systems biology, and national security. Visit http://www.youtube.com/
• Full-time participation June 1 – August 7 engaged in a technical (CCI) or research project (SULI) under the direction of a laboratory scientist/engineer
• Career development workshops/lab tours
• $600 per week stipend, based on 40 hours per week*
• Limited travel reimbursement/housing allowance (for those who qualify)
To be eligible**, applicants must:
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Be a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
• Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
In addition, CCI applicants must:
• Be currently enrolled full-time at a community college or accredited two-year college and have completed at least one semester (at the time of application)
• Have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas and have completed at least 12 credit hours toward a degree
In addition, SULI applicants must:
• Be currently enrolled full-time at an accredited U.S. institution AND have completed at least one year as an undergraduate (at the time of application)*
• Applicants who have completed or will complete their undergraduate degree prior to starting their internship may apply as a "Recent Graduate." This includes students who have graduated with an associate degree or bachelor's degree, those who have completed a combined BS/MS program, and those who have completed an undergraduate degree and are now enrolled in a graduate studies program. The time period between receipt of an undergraduate degree and starting the SULI term must be two years or less.
* Both opportunities require a full-time (at least 40 hours per week) commitment onsite at ORNL in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Some students find it reasonable to take online or evening classes during the course of the internship. Undergraduate credits obtained in high school cannot be applied to meet the minimum one-year completion requirement.
**Additional eligibility requirements may be found at https://science.osti.gov/