>>>For consideration send your resume to Faviola Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Puerto Rico Department of Health Position Description
POSITION TITLE: Epidemiologist Regional Level
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
LOCATION: Ponce Region, Puerto Rico
APPROVED BY: Puerto Rico Department of Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL)
The Office of Epidemiology for the Puerto Rico Department of Health is seeking an epidemiologist to enhance surveillance and outbreak response for foodborne and waterborne diseases. The epidemiologist will conduct outbreak surveillance in nursing homes, hospitals, prisons, and schools. Outbreak response including visits to the affected areas and implementing control measures, and community outreach will be part of the ongoing responsibilities of the epidemiologist personnel.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Perform active surveillance of cases and associated outbreak investigations of foodborne and waterborne diseases (FWD).
- Establish and maintain communication with health care facilities, laboratories, hospitals, physicians, public health nurses, infection control coordinators, director of the area of medical records or other personnel in charge for notification of FWD cases, to reinforce FWD case reporting to the Puerto Rico Department of Health.
- Coordinate visits for evaluation of clinical files and/or conduct interviews with persons exposed to contaminated food or water, with the purpose of determining if the patient meets the FWD case definition.
- Evaluate medical records and review electronic medical record systems, as required, with the purpose of evaluating the documentation related to the diagnosis of FWD.
- Exercise the criteria of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to determine whether the patient meets the definition for established case for diseases associated with FWD, and obtain the information required to complete the case report form or related research questionnaire.
- Establish and maintain communication with health care service providers, schools, Home Cares, Head Starts, jails/correctional facilities and community to implement FWD outbreaks investigations. Perform tasks related to the investigation of FWD and outbreaks; collaborate with case research or outbreaks (following the ten steps for outbreak investigation) of foodborne, waterborne, or environmental diseases.
- Complete a report form, data entry and data quality control for FWD case investigation and outbreaks; complete 2 x 2 tables to determine outbreak attack rates, odd ratios, in order to determine source of infection (common or spread), collaborate with Public Health Laboratory and Environmental Office, obtaining relevant epidemiological data to identify FWD related pathogens.
- In coordination with Regional Epidemiologist Nurse, organize shipping of stools or nasopharyngeal samples to be sent to the Public Health Laboratory.
- Write reports on outbreak investigation as required by Director/State Epidemiologist and FWD Project Coordinator.
- Willingness to travel (in state or out of state) for trainings related to the investigation FWD and outbreaks.
- Prepare reimbursement forms for monthly per diem and mileage for travel expenses to the interior and exterior of Puerto Rico if necessary.
- Write monthly reports of the work done; assist in weekly conference calls or face-to-face meetings as required by the State Epidemiologist/Director of the Office of Epidemiology and/or FWD Project Coordinator.
This position requires a responsive, committed individual who recognizes the impact of the work of the organization as a whole.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required for successful performance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s degree in Epidemiology (MPH or MS).
- Knowledge of statistical programs and other computer related programs to help create reports, presentations, etc.
- Experience serving as an education resource to the public.
- Ability to read, write and speak both Spanish and English at a collegiate level.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is required to sit for long periods at a time; type using a computer keyboard; visually read information off of a computer monitor; talk, hear, and orally communicate information over the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to outdoor weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment may vary from light to moderate depending on the location.
CRITERIA FOR PERFORMANCE EVALUATION:
Performance evaluation will be based on meeting the criteria outlined herein.
POSITION REPORTS TO:
- Faviola Ortiz; email@example.com
POSITION DESCRIPTION STATUS:
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. The Puerto Rico Department of Health reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
This position is funded under a cooperative agreement between APHL and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and will end June 2021.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.