Government Fellows Program - Professionals - electrical engineering and associated branches (IEEE)

Francis Heber Gonzalez's picture



Friday, 8 February 2013

The IEEE-USA has begun soliciting applications for its 2013-2014 Government Fellows Program.  Each year, IEEE-USA sponsors government fellowships for three qualified IEEE members.  The fellows – chosen by the IEEE-USA Government Fellows Committee and confirmed by the IEEE-USA Board – spend a year in Washington serving as advisers to the U.S. Congress or to key U.S. Department of State decision-makers.

Known as either a Congressional Fellowship (created in 1973) or an Engineering & Diplomacy Fellowship (created in 2000), this program links science, technology and engineering professionals with the U.S. government, and provides a mechanism for IEEE’s U.S. members to learn firsthand about the public policy process while imparting their knowledge and experience to policymakers. 

The IEEE-USA has asked us to publicize this program to the eligible post doctorate individuals as well as academic personnel.  The deadline for applications is February 8, 2013.  For more information regarding the program, including complete eligibility requirements, or to complete an application, please visit

Selection Criteria

To be considered for an IEEE-USA Congressional Fellowship, applicants must:

  • Be a REGULAR Member of IEEE at the time of application. Graduate student or student memberships do not qualify.
  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application or, at the latest, prior to selection.
  • Be a practicing member of the engineering profession with a degree from a four-year university or college that has a recognized program in electrical or electronics engineering or an allied branch of engineering or science.
  • Possess either,
    • a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 10 years responsible experience in engineering or qualified science;
    • a Master's degree and a minimum of 5 years of such experience in engineering or qualified science; or
    • a Doctoral degree in engineering or qualified science.
  • Work experience must consist of FULL-TIME PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT in an engineering or qualified science field.  Time spent working as an intern, a graduate assistant, or non-engineering or -qualified science professions will not apply.




Categorías de Contenido: