Research Experience for Undergraduates
in Reconfigurable and Multifunctional Soft Materials
The University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez (UPRM), through support from the National Science Foundation, will host a summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) focused on Reconfigurable and Multifunctional Soft Materials (RMSM). This new REU program will host undergraduate students in a 10-week, highly interdisciplinary, summer research experience involving scientists and engineers. It combines efforts from 7 academic departments at UPRM performing top-notch research on the development and study of new soft materials that are able to efficiently conduct multiple functions and operate away from equilibrium.
Soft matter unites a broad class of physical states, ranging from colloids and micelles to biological and granular matter, that are easily deformed by external stresses. Self-assembly, non-equilibrium, driven/active matter, frustration, topology and folding are just a few of the many diverse topics addressed by soft matter researchers. This REU site will provide the students a broad experience of the soft matter field and help them identify the interconnected properties and features that make these materials relevant for emerging needs and applications in nanotechnology, bioengineering, and the industry. The students will learn from their mentors how the deformation of materials with multifunctional and/or reconfigurable properties correlates to their fundamental composition and structure.
- Faculty–led seminars on various soft material topics
- Special seminars on scientific communication, graduate school, scientific responsible conduct
- An end-of-summer REU poster or oral presentation mini-symposium, where students will share with the rest of the scientific community in campus their results and conclusions.
- Fieldtrips to points of interest in Puerto Rico.
- A summer in an exotic Caribbean island.
Summer 2015 Program Details:
- Program Dates (funding pending): May 26 – August 4, 2015
- Online application is available HERE
- Application deadline: March 15, 2015
- Students receive a stipend of $5,000. Housing and travel to and from Puerto Rico are provided.
Dr. Ubaldo M. Córdova-Figueroa and Dr. Patricia Ortiz-Bermúdez
Directors REU in Reconfigurable and Multifunctional Soft Materials
Department of Chemical Engineering
Rd. 108 Km 1.0, Bo. Miradero
Mayagüez, P.R. 00680
Phones: 787-832-4040 exts. 5844, 3209