A complete application packet consists of:
- The application form
- A copy of your resume (please include any honors, awards, and relevant activities)
- Brief sample of your writing (no more than 2 – 3 pages total) on any subject written in terms appropriate for the general public – no technical papers please
- Journal news story coverage (See application)
- Three letters of recommendation (to be mailed or emailed directly to the program). Two of these letters should be from faculty members.
- Transcripts of your undergraduate and graduate work (to be mailed directly to the program)
IF MAILING APPLICATION, DO NOT STAPLE MATERIALS
Applicants are responsible for obtaining the necessary transcripts and letters of recommendation and seeing that all materials are sent directly to the program. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants are evaluated by a selection committee composed of experts in the sciences, education, and media. The committee makes recommendations to the AAAS staff, who are responsible for the final decisions and for negotiations between the candidates and the media hosts. Telephone interviews are conducted with semi-finalists sometime in March each year. Candidates receive final notification of the status of their applications in April.
Mail completed forms to:
AAAS Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program
1200 New York Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20005
Telephone: (202) 326-6441
Or email to:
(Please include your last name in the title of the email)
For more information: