Outreach Specialist (Full Time)
Location: Lanham, MD
Sigma Space Corporation is looking for an outreach specialist to lead the Landsat 7 and Landsat 8 science communications and public engagement effort on our Hydrospheric and Biospheric Sciences (HBS) Science support contract. HBS supports NASA’s Science and Engineering Directorate based at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD. GSFC is NASA’s leading center for Earth science employing the highest concentration of earth scientists in the world. The ideal candidate will be a proven science communicator with experience interacting with the scientists and the science aware community.
The candidate will lead a team of programmers, writers, and outreach specialists, whose mission it is to communicate science achievements of Landsat 7 and Landsat 8 and how their products are used by the public.
- Designing, developing, coordinating, and executing The Landsat 8 communications and public Engagement Plan
- Developing Landsat related science communication materials, update and keep current materials with content from Landsat 8 data analysis and applications.
- Collaborating with designers, scientists, and other nasa science communicators to Develop, displays and written material showcasing nASA earth science landsat for museums and special events.
- Using social media effectively as a tool for highlight science results from landsat 7 and 8 missions
- Representing landsat at public events where NASA has exhibit booths/activities such as earth Day on the National Mall, the US Science and Engineering festival and GSFC open houses.
- Writing content for and working with designers and printers to create mission-specific publications such as brochures, posters, and e-books.
- Assuring the NASA GSFC Landsat website is maintained and up to data and providing new content
- Informing and maintaining communication with the Landsat data user community in support of the Landsat 8 Project Scientist; provide content for scientific manuscripts, exhibition booths, web sites, handouts, chart presentations, webinars, and distributed e-mail messages.
- Participating in approximately 3 professional conferences per year conveying information on mission education and outreach programs, and applications of the data by scientists and other users.
- Becoming familiar with the science and engineering content of Landsat http://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov
- Supporting preparation of electronic media describing the Landsat missions and expected applications
- Supporting NASA and GSFC efforts to coordinate communications and public engagement across missions and across the agency and center and participating in related working groups.
- Managing the deployment and display of a museum exhibit.
- B.S.or B.A degree from accredited university in Earth System Science (physics, forestry, biology, geology ecology, or geography), Science education or history of science plus 3 years experience communicating earth science to the science aware public
- Interest in earth science and proven capability to communicate scientific achievements to the public.
- Strong collaboration, organizational, project planning, and communication skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working with scientists, engineers, and science communicator professionals to simplify scientific and technical ideas for non-science audiences while maintaining accuracy.
- Proven understanding of the needs of science communications for parks, museums, and community centers.
- Interest in use of social media to engage the public and education communities.
- High initiative, self starter.
- Examples to prove experience and ability must include writing samples, and brief descriptions of science communication activities, interpretation programs, exhibits, or public events, including targeted audience and techniques employed.
- Interaction with and understanding of the needs for use of earth science outreach material.
- Knowledge of science communication principles.
- Experience in use of social media to engage the public and education communities.
- Ability to organize science communication related events.
- Budget management.
- Background in principles of Presentation material (both web and hard copy) design and layout.
- Experience working with products from Landsat.