Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
iBiology Associate Director of Professional Development
Academic Coordinator I/II
iBiology (http://www.ibiology.org) is a collection of free online videos by leading biologists, which target students and researchers around the world. The iBiology team is a small group of scientists and media professionals who are passionate about science communication, outreach, and education. iBiology is funded by the NSF and NIH, and is located at the University of California, San Francisco.
We are seeking a full-time Associate Director of Professional Development who will oversee the development and production of online videos and associated web content on navigating academic, industry, science communication, and other career options available to PhDs. These video modules are a significant part of a new large-scale project aimed at providing an online professional development portal for the scientific and educational communities. The Associate Director of Professional Development will also engage with individuals and institutions to get feedback on how to improve the materials over time and help institutions create their own local projects using iBiology videos.
The Associate Director of Professional Development’s responsibilities include:
• Work with iBiology Director and Associate Director of Scientific Training and Education to fulfill the overall project objectives in the implementation of the professional development portal
• Oversee the planning and implementation of the iBiology professional development video modules, which includes such duties as:
o Working with advisory committee and content directors to identify relevant video content
o Working with experts committed to fostering diversity to ensure the videos are equitable and inclusive
o Working with a videographer to produce high-quality and engaging videos
o Helping to create associated web content and materials (e.g., handouts, infographics, etc.)
o Maintaining a project timeline and budget
• Solicit feedback from the biomedical community to ensure the content suits their training needs most effectively
• Help develop dissemination strategies to distribute content and encourage widespread use
• Build and maintain relationships with networks of related organizations and societies
Qualifications and Experience
• Ph.D. in biological sciences
• At least one year post-graduate experience in science education, communication, or outreach project management
• Demonstrated passion for science communication
• Demonstrated interest in improving professional development opportunities for PhDs and postdoctoral trainees in the life or biomedical sciences
• Superb presentation and written communication skills; ability to be creative and engaging in various forms of communication
• Well organized, detailed oriented, and able to prioritize and execute multiple projects simultaneously
• An enthusiastic and positive team player with strong interpersonal skills who is able to work well in a small team
• Proven relationship-building skills with people from various backgrounds and cultural landscapes
• Has a keen eye for a good presentations, lectures, and other forms of communication; preferably has received some science communication training
Preferred Start Date: April – May 2016
Job location: San Francisco, California
Grant-funded staff position with University of California, San Francisco, including salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF00753
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information