The Department of Biology at the University of Florida, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences invites applications for a Lecturer/Sr. Lecturer/Master Lecturer to begin Spring 2017. This is a non-tenure accruing faculty member who will work with the Biology Majors Executive Committee (BMEC) and its Director in administering the undergraduate biology majors, which are offered jointly by the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS). The Lecturer/Sr. Lecturer/Master Lecturer will 1) serve as the Undergraduate Coordinator for the majors, and in this capacity work closely with the BMEC, the staff and faculty advisors in CALS and CLAS; 2) refine, teach, and coordinate a cross-college capstone course required for all students in the majors; 3) perform scholarship of teaching; and 4) provide administrative management of the Biology Majors Office and represent the Director in his/her absence.
- Serve as the Undergraduate Coordinator for the Biology Majors (BA and BS), working closely with the cross-college Biology Major Executive Committee, staff and faculty advisors in CALS, and staff advisors in CLAS.
- Identify best practices, particularly evidence based, in undergraduate Biology education nationally (and internationally as appropriate), evaluate possible fit at UF, and introduce to our faculty.
- Serve as the course director for a cross-college capstone course required for all students in the majors, including scaling up the course to accommodate growth in the majors and evaluation of the course. In particular, use the data provided by the capstone course assessments to help us identify student learning outcomes and program goals where we fall short, where we excel, and work with us to find ways to improve our curriculum content and delivery.
- Perform additional scholarship in teaching, in particular mining the wealth of institutional data available to assess pathways to graduation, efficacy in educating diverse audiences, trajectories of our majors following graduation, etc. Identify and promote best practices here at UF within the institution and beyond, possibly via scholarly publications.
- Provide administrative management of the Biology Majors Office and represent the Director of the Biology Majors in her/his absence. Interface with UF Online Coordinator. Supervise the Biology Majors Office staff position(s), currently the Program Assistant. Approve time and leave for office staff. Write annual staff appraisals.
For more information: http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/498729/lecturersr-lecturermaster-lecturer