The Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences of New York University's School of Medicine offers a Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) for qualified sophomores and juniors who are interested in pursuing research careers as PhD or MD/PhD candidates.
Students may work with faculty in the disciplines of:
* Biomedical Imaging
* Cellular and Molecular Biology
* Computational Biology
* Developmental Genetics
* Medical and Molecular Parasitology
* Molecular Oncology and Immunology
* Molecular Pharmacology
* Neuroscience and Physiology
* Structural Biology
The SURP program runs for nine weeks from June 4, 2007 through August 3, 2007. All candidates accepted to SURP must be able to attend during this time frame.The Summer Undergraduate Research Program guarantees all participants:
* A stipend of $3,000
* Free housing in a NYU facility
* Round-trip travel expenses to New York City
* In most instances, students are matched with an investigator of their choice. Otherwise they are placed in a laboratory working in an area of the student's stated interest. Each student is given his/her own project and is expected to perform as a graduate student. Students will present their research at a Poster Session at the end of the summer.
* Those students who are interested in having a Physician Mentor may request assignment to a physician in an area of medicine of the student's choice. This student will meet weekly with the physician, attend Grand Rounds and Clinical Conferences, and where applicable, be able to observe the physician with patients.
* There is a cultural component to the program, which includes dinners at various ethnic restaurants, Broadway shows, museum tours, and a variety of other local cultural events. New York City is an exciting place to spend the summer and we encourage all participants to take full advantage of the many opportunities available here!