What is it? A part-time, virtual, 6-week long program, to introduce undergraduates to basic, translational and clinical hematology (blood cells and blood diseases) research, sponsored by the Yale Cooperative Center of Excellence in Hematology Enrichment Program, funded by the National Institutes of Health. Students will be matched with Yale faculty and laboratory members to learn about the hematology-oriented research in their laboratories. Students will also participate in journal clubs, laboratory meetings, and scientific seminars.
• Who is eligible? All rising sophomore, junior, or senior undergraduates as well as post-baccalaureate studentsacross the US, ages 18 years old and up, who are US citizens or permanent residents, are welcome to apply. Students from diverse backgrounds, including those who are first in their families to attend college, members of groups underrepresented in the sciences, from inner-city or rural communities, or have grown up with financial or other disadvantages, are especially encouraged to apply. 12 students will be selected for this program.
• Where? Virtual.
• When? June 14-July 23, 2021. The program will take approximately 5-10 hours/week.
• Is there a stipend? Each scholar will receive a $500 stipend for participating.
• How to apply: Submit the application below to YCCEHpilot@yale.edu
• Application deadline: May 12, 2021
• Applicants will be notified of their selection by May 17, 2021
Yale Cooperative Center of Excellence in Hematology Undergraduate Summer Scholar
Applicant Email Address:
Applicant Home Address:
Applicant Phone Number:
Class (as of Fall 2021, e.g. sophomore, junior, etc):
College or University:
Do you identify as being from an underrepresented background (Y/N)
If possible, please submit a resume along with this application.
Please explain your motivation for being a summer scholar (200 words or less):