- Tracking Code
- Job Description
USRA is an independent, nonprofit research corporation where the combined efforts of in-house talent and university-based expertise merge to advance space science and technology. USRA works across disciplines including bio medicine, planetary science, astrophysics, and engineering and integrates those competencies into applications ranging from fundamental research to facility management and operations. USRA engages the creativity and authoritative expertise of the research community to develop and deliver sophisticated, forward-looking solutions to Federal agencies and other customers - on schedule and within budget.
The Universities Space Research Association (USRA) is seeking applicants for a Postdoctoral Scientist position at the Arecibo Observatory in Arecibo, Puerto Rico. The Arecibo Observatory is managed for the NSF by a consortium comprising SRI International, USRA, and Universidad Metropolitana. It is home to the largest radio telescope in the world and conducts research programs in Radio Astronomy, Planetary Radar, and Atmospheric Sciences. All appointments are contingent upon the continuation of the cooperative agreement with the NSF for the operation of Arecibo Observatory.
The applicant is expected to have:
- Research interests in any field of radio astronomy that can be effectively pursued with the Arecibo telescope
- Observational interests in the following research areas: pulsars, the interstellar medium as probed by HI, OH and/or molecular lines in the Milky Way and other galaxies, properties of galaxies, cosmology, and high sensitivity VLBI
- The ability to maintain an independent research program and are encouraged to apply for partial funding support.
- Required Skills
- A Ph.D. in astronomy or a related field
- Willingness to reside in the Arecibo, Puerto Rico area
Applicants should provide a curriculum vitae, a research plan [limit 3 pages], and contact information for three references.
All interested candidates must apply directly on our website at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
- Job Location
- Arecibo, Puerto Rico, United States
- Position Type