THE 2019 ONLINE APPLICATION WILL BE OPEN FROM OCT. 16TH 2017 - FEB. 1ST 2019
In order to apply you must first identify 2 faculty members to write letters of recommendation for you. Discuss the internship with them and give them sufficient notice to write your letter.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Letters of recommendation must be received by the February 1, 2019 deadline in order for your application to be considered. Please remind your references of the deadline.
The online application will require you to upload the following documents in PDF form. Please have them ready to upload before starting the application and use the appropriate file name.
- Resume, including any honors, awards, and relevant activities
- Unofficial transcripts of your undergraduate course work
- Two writing samples. At least one should be about a news event that took place after October 15, 2017
- Application Essay: In <800 words, tell us about yourself and why you are interested in this internship including:
- Your diverse voice and commitment to extending the reach of science journalism into communities where there is currently limited participation
- Your experience in journalism;
- Your thoughts about science and science writing;
- How this opportunity will advance your career goals;
- Include any classes, experiences, affiliations, etc. that you think will make you an ideal candidate for this internship.
Deadline: 1 February 2019
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants will be evaluated by a committee composed of experts in communicating science to the public. The committee will make recommendations to the AAAS staff, who are responsible for the final selection.
Who can apply for the internship?
The internship is open to undergraduates with a serious interest in science writing. Preference will be given to those students pursuing a degree in journalism. You must be enrolled in an academic program at the time you submit your application.
You must be a college undergraduate at the time you submit your application. Telephone interviews are conducted with semi-finalists in February. All candidates will be notified of the outcome by April 15.
If you are a scientist and looking for a fellowship in science writing consider applying for the AAAS Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellowship.
For more information
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org