Summer 2021 Visiting Faculty Program (VFP)
Applications for the Visiting Faculty Program (VFP) are now open for the 2021 Summer Term. Applications are due January 12, 2021 at 5:00 PM ET.
Are you a faculty member in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics?
Are you interested in advancing your research through access to the resources of the DOE national laboratories and the opportunity to collaborate with scientists and engineers in your area of expertise?
Then the Visiting Faculty Program (VFP) is for you. As a VFP participant, you’ll gain access to instrumentation and technologies not available in academia or industry and will build your professional network while collaborating on a jointly-developed project with a laboratory scientist or engineer. You also have the opportunity to invite up to two of your undergraduate or graduate students to participate in the program.
VFP is sponsored and managed by the Department of Energy (DOE) / Office of Science’s Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) program in collaboration with 17 DOE national laboratories and facilities across the U.S.
- $1400/week stipend for faculty and $600/week stipend for invited undergraduates (stipend not provided for invited graduate students)
- Housing accommodations or housing allowance for faculty and invited students
- Round-trip travel reimbursement for faculty and invited students
- Faculty applicants must have full-time positions at an accredited, degree-granting postsecondary institution of higher education in the U.S. Community college faculty are eligible to apply.
- The faculty member’s institution must not be categorized as either “Doctoral Universities: Very High Research Activity” or “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” as reported in the 2018 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, unless the applicant is a faculty member at any Historically Black College or University (HBCU). That is, full-time faculty members at HBCUs are eligible to apply as long as they meet all other eligibility requirements.
- Faculty applicants must work in an area of physics, chemistry, biology (non-medical), engineering, environmental sciences, geology or geosciences, mathematics, materials sciences, or computer or computational sciences.
- Requirements for invited student participants are given at https://science.osti.gov/wdts/vfp/Eligibility.