Assistant Professor of Biology
COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
Dr. Sarah Drivdahl, Dean
August 15, 2019 or as negotiated
The Department of Natural Sciences at Northwest University invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor position to begin August 2019. The ideal candidate will possess a Ph.D. (ABD considered) and have a proven track record as an adept teacher of undergraduate students. Candidates will be expected to teach our two semester Anatomy and Physiology sequence, General Biology II, related non-major classes, and upper division classes which complement our majors in Biology and Molecular Cell Biology. Interest in developing a research program that emphasizes undergraduate research and in helping to lead international trips in science is also beneficial. This full-time position involves teaching 24 credits a year.
Candidates must possess a meaningful commitment to Jesus Christ, the church, and the Gospel. We are seeking someone with a winsome, encouraging and culturally-engaged faith. Candidates with experience and evidence of mentoring diverse students, including those from underrepresented backgrounds in the sciences, are preferred.
Application review will begin December 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. Initial interviews will occur in January-February 2019. Members of underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply
- Teach courses in the Natural Sciences Department.
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Work with the program chair and dean to revise science curriculum as needed.
- Develop new courses in the candidate's area of research and teaching.
- Participate in the governance functions of the university as assigned.
- Engage in scholarship related to his/her field of study.
- Ph.D. in the Biological Sciences or related fields (advanced ABD will be considered).
- Undergraduate-level teaching experience, with documentation of success in teaching, advising, and mentoring relationships. Ability to successfully teach Anatomy and Physiology is required.
- A collegial orientation and a willingness to work collaboratively with other disciplines and departments.
- A demonstrated, vibrant evangelical faith compatible with the mission of Northwest University.
- Willingness to apply a faith-based worldview to course design, instruction, and advising.
Dependent on education and experience, and based upon the established faculty salary schedule starting at the assistant professor rank.
For full consideration, please submit the following:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of courses taught)
- Teaching philosophy
- A list of three professional references with e-mail and phone contact information
- A statement explaining how the candidate’s Christian faith shapes his or her approach to the field of Biology or other related areas of study.
- A brief narrative describing the candidate’s personal faith journey and church involvements.
- A one page research statement which outlines research goals and involves undergraduates (optional)
Applications may be submitted by email as PDF attachments to Dr. Sarah Drivdahl, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Sarah Drivdahl, Dean
5520 108th Ave NE
PO Box 579
Kirkland, WA 98083