Career Opportunity: Laboratory Technician
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Job type: Full-time
The laboratory technician is responsible for mosquito identification to support vector surveillance activities and aid the Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit in its goal to control the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Work will be conducted primarily in a laboratory setting. The Lab Technician will be exposed to indoor conditions, noise, vibration, exposure to chemicals, fumes, and odors and may be required to wear a mask or other protective gear. Such work shall be conducted in accordance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws, and in accordance with PRVCU’s policies and procedures established by PRVCU’s management.
Reports to: Laboratory Supervisor
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Conduct adult mosquito and larvae identification
- Follows procedures to handle samples and perform mosquito surveillance
- Conduct mosquito insecticide resistance assays
- Records data fully in a precise, organized and readable format
- Meets schedule requirements as assigned by Lab Supervisor
- Continuously interacts with Lab Supervisor to complete scheduled tasks and ensure project timelines are met
- Perform minor equipment maintenance and keep a clean orderly work space.
- Assist in the evaluation of products or techniques of potential value to the PRVCU control programs
- Assist in education and outreach activities if necessary
Since our organization is going to change to meet the needs of public health, environmental conservation and the PRVCU, you can expect, anticipate and assume that your job description will change to meet these challenges.
Education, Training and Experiences:
- Preferred Associate or Bachelor degree in Biology, Natural Sciences or related field
- Preferred knowledge of general biology laboratory practices and techniques
- Ability to work independently
- Must be able to follow instructions exactly
- Some analytical ability required in order to gather and interpret data in different situations
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to receive and act upon input from Lab Supervisor
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other PRVCU employees
- Ability to interact with general public and with personnel of Federal, State and local government agencies, and industry
- Must hold valid Puerto Rico driver’s license
Please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include contact information, indicate whether or not you speak Spanish and English fluently, and are available to start within one to four weeks of being notified.
Overview of the organization
The Puerto Rico Science Technology and Research Trust is a private non-profit organization created in 2004 to encourage and promote innovation, transfer and commercialization of technology and creation of jobs in the technology sector. We are responsible for Puerto Rico’s public policy for science, technology, research and development. The Trust’s mission is to invest, facilitate and build capacity to continually advance Puerto Rico’s economy and its citizens’ well-being through innovation-driven enterprises, science and technology and its industrial base. Our vision is that by 2022, Puerto Rico is a globally recognized innovation hub that develops, attracts, and retains scientists, technology entrepreneurs, and enterprises to unlock world class creativity and competitiveness
The Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit (PRVCU) main responsibilities is to develop, lead, and deploy an effective integrated vector management (IVM) strategy to reduce the Aedes aegypti population and the burden of Zika, chikungunya, and dengue. PRVCU will carry out vector surveillance, community engagement and IVM for effective mosquito control.