NASA's Science Mission Directorate is looking for one or more public policy experts to join our Strategic Integration and Management Division, located at NASA Headquarters in Washington, DC. Interested individuals should apply using the links below.
The individual(s) selected would join a 7-person team focused on providing policy support to SMD's over 90 missions that span Astrophysics, Earth Science, Heliophysics, Planetary Science, and various reimbursable projects for other agencies. In support of SMD's policy functions, the policy team manages SMD's relations with external groups, including Congress, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), and external advisory committees and boards. In partnership with other SMD Divisions, the policy branch also supports the SMD Associate Administrator by providing integrated guidance, strategy, and focused advocacy for NASA's science program.
The specific responsibilities of the policy branch include the following:
- Develop and coordinate testimony, congressional correspondence, white papers, congressional reports, staff briefings, and responses to congressional and Executive Branch actions.
- Monitor, support development of, and track inter-agency agreements, coordinate interagency meetings, and manage SMD's coordination with OSTP and OMB.
- Coordinate SMD international activities and relationships, including Agency and SMD international policy, agreements status tracking, export control, and international meetings.
- Manage the NAC Science Committee and support the SMD Divisions in the management of the Division advisory committees;
- Oversee and coordinate Directorate audit and review activities with the NASA Inspector General, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and other auditors or reviewers.
- Coordinate and support the development of SMD elements of the NASA strategic plan and Directorate science plan, and provide support to the Resource Management Division's activities in response to the Government Performance and Results (GPRA) Modernization Act of 2010.
NASA Headquarters released two vacancy announcements on August 13, 2018, for a career position(s) on the SMD Policy Team. Below are the links to the Program Planning Specialist (Policy Analyst) GS-12/13 positions: one announcement is open to all US citizens and US nationals (https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/507856200) and one announcement is open for candidates with special status based on their current or past government service (https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/507855700). Both close on August 24, 2018.