University of New Mexico’s Health Sciences Center is now accepting applications for The Undergraduate Pipeline Network (UPN) summer research experience. The application deadline is February 15, 2017. Please pass along this opportunity to undergraduates you believe would be interested in our program.
The UPN program seeks to cultivate student interest in research while helping them develop the skills needed to apply for and succeed in post-baccalaureate education. During the ten-week summer program, UPN students conduct full-time research, mentored by their lab Principal Investigator (PI) and team of postdocs, technicians, graduate students, and other undergraduates. In addition, students participate in weekly seminars and team-building activities focused on professional development and networking.
This year our program will run from May 31, 2017 through August 4, 2017, and requires a full time commitment from our students, who work on average of 40 hours per week. UPN students receive an academic fellowship (stipend) of up to $5000 for the summer.
The goals of our program are to provide the opportunity for undergraduate students to:
- Conduct research in one of the following areas for 10 weeks at a nationally recognized Health Sciences Center
- Brain & Behavioral Neurosciences
- Cancer Biology
- Cardiovascular & Metabolic Disease
- Community Based/Health Disparities
- Environmental Toxicology & Pharmacology
- Infectious Disease & Immunity
- Build credentials for graduate, medical or other professional training.
- Improve writing, presentation and interview skills
- Assist in the design, collection, processing & analysis of scientific data.
- Learn cutting-edge research techniques and use state-of-the-art technology.
- Present their research to the New Mexico scientific community.
- Receive a summer stipend of up to $5000. (Used to pay for dormitories and stipend)
- “Experience so many interesting things” while having “a wonderful time” and a “great summer,” according to past participants.
Our program information and application can be found at the links listed below:
UPN Program Info: http://hsc.unm.edu/research/brep/undergraduate/upn/index.html
UPN 2017 Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QYFGBCH
Please contact Alexandria Chang at firstname.lastname@example.org you would like to have a student participate in this program.