About Undergrduate Scholarship Program
This program is for students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are committed to careers in biomedical, behavioral, and social science research. The program provides scholarship recipients up to $20,000 per academic year for tuition, educational, and reasonable living expenses. Scholarships are awarded for one year and can be renewed for up to four years.
For every year of scholarship support, scholars commit to two paid service obligations in the NIH Intramural Research Program. These are:
- A ten week full-time summer internship at the NIH immediately following the year of scholarship support
- One year of full-time work at the NIH post-graduation; this service obligation may be deferred until completion of an advanced degree program.
UGSP scholars work in research groups directed by a Principal Investigator (PI). We offer research opportunities in the biomedical, behavioral and social sciences with opportunities to explore translational and clinical research. Students with experience in biology, engineering, epidemiology, psychology, mathematics, chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, nursing, physics, computer science, bioinformatics and other health-related fields are invited to apply. UGSP Scholars may not work in administrative offices or outside of the NIH Intramural Research Program.
Research groups are located on several NIH campuses, including the main campus in Bethesda, MD. While the summer service obligation takes place in Bethesda, scholars may complete their post-graduation service obligation on any NIH campus.
In addition to an intensive research experience, UGSP scholars have access to:
- a strong cohort experience throughout their NIH training
- professional development programs focused on core competencies needed for success in research and healthcare careers
- educational and career advising
- a comprehensive well-being and resilience program
Important Application Dates
Applications Open: January 2024
Application Deadline: March 29th, 2024, at noon E.T.
We believe that many within your network would benefit immensely from this opportunity. We kindly ask you to share this information with your peers, students, mentees, and other potential candidates.
For a comprehensive overview, eligibility criteria, and other details, please direct them to the NIH UGSP Official Website.
Should you have any questions or require additional details about the NIH UGSP, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org