For racially and ethnically diverse women in medically underserved communities, the need for passionate, strong voices in healthcare is critical.
That’s because Hispanic women are likely to develop heart disease 10 years earlier than non-Hispanics. And African American women have almost twice the risk of stroke than Caucasians. Yet, there’s a shortage of diversity in female nurses, doctors and allied health professionals.
Go Red For Women is committed to reversing those trends. That’s why we invite women to apply for one of the 16 scholarships of $2,500 that will be awarded through the Go Red™ Multicultural Scholarship Fund.
Now in its third year, the scholarship aims to help close the gaps in treatment and access, and provides a more affordable education for women of diverse backgrounds. We believe the best way to do this is to ensure that all Americans have an opportunity to work with healthcare providers that understand the cultural differences and traditions that impact lifestyle and attitudes toward heart health.
The availability of a diverse healthcare workforce can lead to improved, overall patient health, along with an end to the No. 1 killer in women: heart disease.
The Go Red Multicultural Scholarship Fund awards scholarships once a year during the spring but takes applications year around. You may find more information on our Frequently Asked Questions document.
Here’s how you can apply:
Step 1: Check the qualifications
- Be a female of Hispanic, African-American, Asian/Pacific Islander or other minority origin
- Be a citizen/permanent resident of the continental United States, including Hawaii and Alaska
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college, university or allied health institution in the U.S.
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Complete an essay and submit two letters of recommendation with the application
Step 2: Apply online
You’ll be asked to:
- Create a login
- Fill out the application form
Step 3: Finalize and upload documents
You’ll need to provide:
- A Community Involvement description
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- A Personal Essay
Scholarship Management System provided by WizeHive
For questions, contact us at GoRedScholarship@heart.org.