Opportunity: Technology Transfer Advisor/Contractor
Contractual Relationship: IndependentContractor
The Puerto Rico Science, Technology and Research Trust (Trust hereafter) is seeking to contract a qualified Technology Transfer Advisor/Contractor to manage all aspects of the Trust’s Technology Transfer (TT) initiative. The Trust’s TT initiative is aimed at designing, creating and implementing an agile and effective structure to foster the commercialization of locally developed scientific inventions and discoveries. Through this initiative the Trust seeks to establish a technology transfer operation that serves as an umbrella entity to process innovations from academia and the private sector. The goal of this TT initiative is the creation of new products and companies, expand employment, and fuel economic activity in Puerto Rico.
The Technology Transfer Advisor/Contractor will assist the Trust’s Executive Director with following tasks:
- Assist in the planning and implementation of Trust’s technology transfer strategy and its actions plan.
- Benchmark successful technology transfer operations conducted on behalf third parties (e.g. academia and private sector).
- Undertake an assessment of current intellectual property (IP) portfolio held, or currently under development, at local Universities and the private sector.
- Ensure Academia has in place current and updated IP and Technology Transfer policies.
- Design and offer an educational component (e.g. Technology Transfer 101 or Lab-to-Market) to be offered to research faculty and university staff involved in technology transfer.
- Recommend and implement strategic alliances with entities and groups (local and abroad) developing and/or conducting initiatives that foster tech transfer and that can spearhead the implementation of this initiative in Puerto Rico.
Prior experience leading and/or performing the following:
- Leading and managing all aspects of an academic technology transfer operation, including the development and implementation of a vision, strategy, to grow its IP portfolio.
- Manage and commercialize IP assets through identification, patenting, licensing, marketing and spin off creation.
- Supervising licensing associates and support staff and oversee day-to-day operations of a technology licensing operation.
- Build and maintain a strong technology transfer operation focused on academic stakeholders (e.g. faculty, students and investigators) and the private sector.
- Working closely with the research community, monitor ongoing research for early identification of IP arising from research projects.
- Design and conduct outreach activities in an academic setting to promote awareness of the importance of IP and other commercial issues.
The ideal candidate or contracting firm will possess prior experience within the academic and/or industry arena involving the identification and commercialization of IP through licensing and start-up company formation, demonstrated knowledge of IP protection law and policies, and the ability to assimilate and understand scientific and technological issues. The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to bring the results scientific research to the marketplace.
Other qualifications for candidates and/or contracting firm representatives: Proven ability to work effectively in a team-based environment is critical; excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, problem analytic and problem-solving skills; highly motivated and self-directed; and demonstrated ability to lead within a team.
Master’s degree in Business Administration or related field (JD or PhD) and seven (7) years of related technology transfer work experience (science environment) is required.
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with the candidate or firm experience and qualifications.
How to apply: To be considered for this opportunity, you may send your CV via email through email@example.com. Please include the words Technology Transfer Advisor/Consultant in the email subject area. Phone calls will not be accepted.