There are two job postings:
DE: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/427694600. The DE vacancy is open to all US Citizens so applicants who currently do not work for the Federal government should apply to this announcement.
MP: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/427699100. The Merit Promotion vacancy is for those candidates who currently work or are former Federal employees.
The announcement is open only to US Citizens. Underrepresented minorities are encouraged to apply.
The position is at the GS-14 level ($108,887 to $141,555) and is located at NIDA headquarters in Rockville, MD. The ideal candidate will have a doctorate in neuroscience, molecular biology, or genetics/epigenetics with research experience in bioinformatics and genetics/epigenetics. The successful candidate can have a huge impact on public health, on the direction of science and will have the opportunity to write papers that analyze existing datasets. Much of the health burden stems from substance abuse and addiction.
Specifically the duties of the job are to:
- provide technical leadership and guidance in bioinformatics of human genome and epigenomic data.
- plan and direct research program activities in the area of associated data science
- analyze trends and data to assess the adequacy of research being conducted and proposed epigenetics and genetics of addiction and drug abuse.
- identify gaps in existing scientific research.
- identify advances and developments in bioinformatics, research design and statistical genetics.
- propose a comprehensive and cohesive research plan outlining the direction and long-term goals to be accomplished.
- analyze the scientific merit of current and projected research programs.
- identify and recommend the program direction of new research.
- assess the scientific progress of research or clinical programs to ensure that objectives are being attained.
- develop new analytical tools to analyze data from established data infrastructure.
- lead program and researchers in managing and analyzing new and emerging data resources.
- provide advice to grantees/contractors during preparation of applications/proposals.
- advise and evaluate grants/awards, cooperative agreements of biomedical research in genetics/epigenetics.
- recommend and distribute research funding for new research initiatives/efforts.
- Initiate appropriate action relative to the grantee/contractor when research progress is inadequate.
- administer unsolicited grant/contract proposals and provide support regarding funding options and areas of program emphasis.
- establish or participate in panels to review research proposals or reports, including the criteria and standards for the panel to follow.
- evaluate the technical and scientific merit of funding applications and proposals being submitted for approval.
- examine the technical and scientific merit of research proposals.
- manage research fund distribution amongst competing interests within an organization.