The application for the L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program will open on Monday, November 30, 2016 and will close on Friday, February 5, 2016.
The application can be found here.
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Must have a conferred PhD and have started in a postdoctoral research position by December 31, 2015
- Must maintain the status of postdoctoral researcher throughout the fellowship year
- Must be American born, naturalized citizen or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S. based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the life and physical/material sciences, engineering & technology, computer science and mathematics
- Cannot be in a faculty position
- Must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events)
- Must be available the week of October 4-7, 2016 for the For Women in Science Awards Week
The Selection Process
To ensure that the candidates who are selected represent scientific excellence, the program utilizes a two-phased application review process.
In the first round, applications are evaluated by experienced scientists in the candidates' respective fields. In the second round, a distinguished Jury of eminent scientists evaluates the top-ranked candidates and selects the five winners.
Candidates are Evaluated for Overall Excellence with a Focus On:
- Intellectual merit, academic records and accepted requisites for scholarly scientific study
- Ability to plan and conduct research either as a member of a team or independently
- Scientific excellence and appropriateness of proposed research
- Evidence of originality, initiative and productivity
- Choice of host institution and department mentor
- Potential for career enhancement if awarded the Fellowship
- Commitment to supporting women and girls in science