ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING SUMMER RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY?
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) of the National Institutes of Health is pleased to announce the opening of the 2014 STEP-UP Program. The program provides an opportunity for high school and undergraduate students to conduct biomedical research for 8-12 weeks in the summer in labs throughout the country. Seven coordinating institutions are funded to recruit students and coordinate summer research experiences for students. Students are not required to conduct research at the coordinating institutions and are encouraged to conduct research at institutions near their homes.
STEP-UP Program Participants Receive:
- Summer stipends ranging from $2,200-$3,500.
- An opportunity to conduct biomedical research with leading research scientists throughout the U.S.
- All paid travel expenses to the annual Research Symposium in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Training in the Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or legal permanent resident.
- Undergraduate applicants must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at a U.S. accredited 2-year or 4-year college or university. (Previous research experience is required for all first-year undergradu- ate students)
- High School applicants must be in their junior or senior year of high school (at the time of application)
- Have a minimum overall 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale), although exceptions may be granted
- Have personal medical/health insurance coverage throughout the duration of the program
- Come from backgrounds underrepresented in biomedical research on a national basis, including individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups and individuals with disabilities.
Delia L. Houseal, MPH
Office of Minority Health Research Coordination
II Democracy Plaza
6707 Democracy Blvd., Room 904 Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Phone: (301) 443-8415 FAX: (301) 594-9358 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 15, 2014