Duke Science & Society Associate in Research Program
Duke University Science & Society invites applications for the 2014-2015 Associate in Research
Fellowship Program. This paid post-baccalaureate program aims to prepare motivated applicants
for interdisciplinary scholarship in emerging ethical, social, policy and/or legal issues raised by research
in the biosciences. This position is intended for post-baccalaureate students without a doctorate who
are not current degree candidates.
Duke Science & Society is an interdisciplinary initiative that examines the wide-ranging and
integral role of science in social institutions and culture. Science & Society integrates and fosters
innovation in related research, education, and engagement at Duke by adopting a pluralistic
approach to understanding how science and human endeavors intersect with a specific focus on
ethical, legal, and social implications for science. For more information, visit our website at http://
• Support the work and activities of Science & Society, including research, education, and
• Conduct research, assist with presentations, and assist with courses and the development of
related materials under the supervision of the Director of Science & Society
• Support the research activities of supervising mentors
• Conduct independent ELSI research in issues around biosciences
• Participate in Science & Society intellectual life
• Be involved in research ethics, Help plan and participate in Science & Society symposia, policy workshops, and other events and
programs aimed at forging interdisciplinary dialogue in science and society
Applicants should submit a CV, contact information for three references, a writing sample, and a
email applications must read “Application for 2014 Associate in Research,” and must be received no
later than 5:00 p.m. on March 3, 2014. Decisions will be made by March 24, 2013.
Duke University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.