Científicos al Servicio facilitates the participation of professionals and advance students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (also called STEM disciplines) in the improvement of science education in Puerto Rico.
The program seeks to:
- Inform students and teachers about the scientific work carried out by STEM professionals
- Motivate students for scientific issues and/or pursue careers in STEM
- Provide an expert resource for Puerto Rico science teachers
- Provide a communication space for STEM professionals with an interest in impacting students in Puerto Rico
Profile of Scientist for Service
- Any of the following:
- STEM professionals (from public, academic, or private sectors) with an advanced degree in a STEM discipline
- Graduate students in a STEM discipline
- Undergraduate students with at least 2-3 years of undergraduate research
- Knowledge in STEM and/or advance research experiences*
- Possess good oral communication skills
- Have an interest in impacting students at Puerto Rican schools
Requirements to participate:
- Comply with the profile of the Scientists for Service
- Submit a resumé or CV
- Submit a Certificate of Good Conduct of Puerto Rico (current)
- Fill out the Interest Form (Avaialble SOON). Filling out the interest application will NOT guarantee that a visit will be assigned. Visits will be assigned according to the school's need and availability.
- Be willing to:
- Coordinate your viista (date / time) with assigned school teacher and notify CienciaPR
- Follow the protocol of visits to schools according to the visit guide
- Complete forms / surveys required by the program
Participating STEM professionals will receive a certificate from Ciencia la Servicio and the results of the student's assessment
At the moment only teachers participating in CienciaPR's educational initiatives are eligible for this program. A request for interest will be made available to teachers in the near future.
Here you will find some of the resources shared with the participants of the Scientists at Service project (Spanish).