American Meteorological Society
Job Posting –Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Founded in 1919, the American Meteorological Society (AMS) is the nation’s premier scientific and professional organization promoting and disseminating information about the atmospheric, oceanic, and hydrologic sciences. Our more than 11,000 members include scientists, researchers, educators, broadcast meteorologists, students, weather enthusiasts, and other professionals in the fields of weather, water, and climate. AMS publishes eleven atmospheric and related oceanic and hydrologic journals, sponsors more than 12 conferences annually, and offers numerous programs and services. For more information on the AMS, visit our Web site at www.ametsoc.org.
The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, reporting to the AMS Executive Director, will champion, promote, and lead a collaborative effort to advance the Society’s initiatives on diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism. The Director will work on a strategic level to advance these initiatives, as well as directly with staff and volunteer-led boards and committees. The Director will lead the collaborative effort to provide a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture committed to the success of all of our members and a shared sense of belonging.
- Partners with the AMS leadership team and volunteer-led boards and committees to develop a vision and plan to ensure that values of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are embedded in the culture and operations of the Society.
- Researches, develops, recommends, and executes creative strategies to foster the organization’s diversity goals.
- Facilitates and supports execution of internal events and programs to promote and foster inclusivity and belonging for all staff, including training around DEI.
- Monitors and tracks success by translating DEI strategies into well-defined projects with focused deliverables, goals, timelines, and key metrics, enabling leadership to evaluate progress.
- Reviews and assesses AMS current practices and policies and identifies opportunities and gaps.
- Collects and analyzes statistical data to evaluate the population engaged with the Society in accordance with diversity standards and goals.
- Serves on committees and working groups focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion as requested, including, but not limited to, the AMS Culture and Inclusion Cabinet and the AMS Board on Representation, Accessibility, Inclusion, and Diversity.
- Partners with the Manager of Human Resources to develop and implement DEI best practices related to staff and to internal programs.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of principles, practices, and theories in diversity, inclusion, equity, and social justice.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training; graduate degree preferred.
- Five or more years of demonstrated success in a DEI-related role including planning, design, and delivery, including facilitating training.
- Demonstrated deep content knowledge of key current issues and best practices of diversity, equity, and inclusion, preferably in scientific and other professional contexts.
- Demonstrated change management, project management, and time management skills.
- Excellence in verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills for building relationships across all organizational levels.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within a team.
- Discretion and diplomacy with confidential information and issues.
This is a full-time position and salary will be commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including generous health, dental, and vision coverage. AMS also offers a superior retirement plan, group life, and disability insurance after one year of employment. This position is temporarily remote due to the pandemic, but is based in our Boston office. Once it is safe to do so, the position will be expected to transition from temporarily remote to partially on-site.
To express interest in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter here.
It is the policy of the American Meteorological Society to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment based solely upon the individual’s qualifications and ability to perform the work assigned, without regard to any personal identity, status, or condition. These include but are not limited to the following: race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, veteran status, gender identity and expression, national origin, genetic information, and sexual orientation.