Scientific Instrument Operator- Matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization (MALDI)
An NIH-funded project seeks a motivated person to manage a state-of-the-art MALDI ToF instrument located in the Molecular Sciences Research Center (MSRC) Inc. at the University of Puerto Rico, an intensive research-oriented center. The candidate should have hands-on experience in mass spectrometry, preferably using MALDI ToF technology to support a vibrant group of researchers, post-doctoral fellows, graduate, and undergraduate students at the MSRC.
As a Scientific Instrument Operator, the candidate will be responsible for manage the instrument, provide training and develop a myriad of MALDI applications as needed. The ideal candidate will possess significant experience in utilizing diverse analytical methods including MALDI to support a variety of needs including but not limited to glycan analysis, peptide mass fingerprinting, tissue and cell analysis (proteomic), protein-protein and lipid-protein interaction, identification of neuropeptides, characterization of protein variants, molecular mass determination, and MALDI-imaging (multimodal imaging) to determine changes in protein expression. The candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with research/therapeutic area project teams to develop new strategies to fulfill researcher’s need.
As a member of the MSRC, the candidate will be expected to actively collaborate with multiple teams from MSRC, University of Puerto Rico campuses, private universities, and pharmaceutical companies. The ideal candidate will balance technical skills with critical-thinking and have demonstrated a track record of rapidly driving high-quality, high-impact projects to completion. The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude and great communication skills.
• Develop and drive the execution of MALDI ToF assays
• Acquire, analyze, and interpret data as well as provide project updates in working groups
• Demonstrate knowledge in data capture and analysis, applied statistical analysis, and quality control
• Perform MALDI ToF system routine maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting
• Provide scientific and technical leadership
• Effectively compile and present MALDI ToF data in both written and oral formats
• Perform troubleshooting of analytical methods related to MALDI ToF
• Maintain analytical results, laboratory instrumentation, standardization, and equipment documentation as quality records, in order to ensure accuracy of data produced.
• Prepare and submit requisitions for purchasing the necessary supplies, chemicals, gases and instrument maintenance equipment needed to maintain the MALDI ToF operation.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• M.S or Ph.D. in biology, chemistry, analytical chemistry or biochemistry with robust experience in mass spectrometry, preferably, MALDI ToF technology.
• Experience in developing and implementing MALDI ToF-based high-throughput screening assays, including maintenance and troubleshooting of hardware and software.
• Hands-on experience with mass spectrometers, especially MALDI ToF systems.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Track record of successful multitasking and rapid execution.
• Computer skills: working knowledge of MS Office
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate complex technical issues in an
easy to understand manner.
• Strong organizational and prioritizing skills.
• Ability to write SOPs.
• Language skills: ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and
maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and
correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the
MSRC. Excellent oral/written communication skills in English and Spanish.
• Interpersonal Skills: networking, technical/functional skills.
• Ability to manage annual plans, requisition of materials and annual reports.
Other Skills and Abilities
• Customer focus and interaction and ability to interact and communicate with scientists from
academia and industry and students from different academic levels.
• Ability to work independently yet has a team focus.
• Must be responsive and reliable.
• Able to work extended hours.