The American Society for Cell Biology
The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) is a nonprofit membership organization of biologists who study the cell, the fundamental unit of life. ASCB’s mission is to advance scientific discovery, advocate for sound research policies, improve education, promote professional development, and increase diversity in the scientific workforce.
ASCB is committed to the advancement of fascinating science at the frontiers of discovery. We are about imagining the future, and how scientific innovation related to cell biological systems can shape this future with better health for the global population.
Since its founding in 1960, the ASCB has grown to approximately 9,000 members in the United States and more than 65 countries around the world. Current members come from universities, colleges, professional schools, government, industry, and public and private research institutions; 25% of ASCB members work outside the United States. For more information about ASCB, visit www.ascb.org.
ASCB is seeking a part time (average of 10 hours/week) five-year consultant to implement a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded project focused on an online mentoring mechanism for academic grant writing between junior faculty at minority serving institutions and senior faculty at research universities. As a Content Analyst, the consultant has an understanding of academic science faculty activities, biomedical research and the role of professional scientific organizations. The consultant is expected to interact with project leadership, staff, and program participants (faculty) to seek resources and information to populate a career development website and help the program manager in securing an efficient and effective electronic information flow. There may be some travel in the first year.
The Content Analyst will work with the ASCB electronic communications team, which is a highly skilled professional staff that includes an IT Director, a web developer, and a graphic designer. The Content Analyst, will synergize and interact closely with the team already in place.
- Develop a plan to engage with program investigators and ASCB staff and work with them to identify and develop content, key themes and messages, recommended topics, and gaps in content
- Gather webpage content from various program initiatives, with the assistance of the program investigators, program participants, and ASCB staff.
- Create and curate the website in close collaboration with the in-house web developer.
- Identify new information for website and edit content to increase effectiveness and search engine optimization.
- Ensure content of the website remains up to date.
- Evaluate content for accuracy, currency and compliance with ASCB policies and standards.
- Identify files/pages that violate copyright laws or require editing.
- Track general trends and usage of the website and provide suggestions to increase traffic.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or communications/writing or a related discipline
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience writing/editing scientific materials
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of the biological sciences
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in Web writing and specifying information architectures
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience with a professional scientific organization strongly preferred
- Familiarity with a variety of media, including social media and new media platforms
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Proactive, positive attitude, strong interpersonal skills, and able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org